In order to be a coach, you need to have the right qualifications! These include coaching courses as well as a couple of safety protocol courses. You must also have accounts on coach.ca and coachcentre.ca as these are the two platforms that will track all of your documentation.
Some of these courses will require a code in order to register. If you are looking for a code please contact the club manager Barb Ferguson.
To be a coach you need:
- Making Ethical Decisions
- Respect in Sport
- Making Headway
- The appropriate coaching course for the age that you are coaching
- A criminal record check
Making Ethical Decisions (MED):
MED is a two part course, an in-class portion plus an evaluation. The in-class is four hours long, and upon completion will allow you to take the online evaluation. MED is a course that takes you step by step through your decision making process if there is a situation where it could be seen that the decision isn't straight-forward, and there's more to the situation than upon first look. MED is offered through coach.ca (you register on the site). This module is part of the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP).
To register, visit coach.ca, under coach training select NCCP Make Ethical Decisions. On the page it should say "FIND A TRAINING" where it will ask you to contact either Mike Hudson, or Nancy Zanni to find a course for you.
Respect in Sport:
Respect in Sport is an online module of the coaching qualification process. Respect in Sport is made to help coaches recognize, understand and respond to issues both on and off the field, including but not limited to bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination. This module helps teach how to create a safe environment for both the players and the coaches.
Soccer Nova Scotia has a link to their own Respect in Sport under "DEVELOPMENT>COACHES" tab. You will have to register/create an account on the Respect in Sport website. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE RESPECT IN SPORT FOR ACTIVITY LEADERS!
The Making Headway module is also a course that is done online. This module is aimed towards educating coaches about how to deal with concussion protocol, and ensuring that players aren't rushed back into play without following all of the right steps. This module also teaches how to prevent concussions, and how to recognize any of the signs and symptoms, along with much more.
All Coaching courses can be found on the coachcentre.ca front page, after you login. All you have to do is select which course you are looking for under the drop down menu, select any other criteria you wish to search under the other drop down menus, and click search.
Game Leaders is under it's own tab "GAME LEADER PROGRAM". For this you just watch a short video, and then take the test.
Upon completion of any certification ensure that you have the completed status on your locker (coach.ca) or just that you have received an email notifying you that you have completed a course, and then send en email to the office ensuring that we have the most up to date information as possible. If you are not sure what Qualifications you have, you can check the aforementioned websites.
- Coaches who are coaching the U4 or U6 program require the Active Start coaching workshop.
- Parents who are assisting with the U4 or U6 program require the Game Leaders online module.
- Coaches who are coaching the U8 program require the FUNdamentals coaching workshop.
- Parents who are assisting with the U8 program require the Game Leaders online module.
- Coaches and parents who are involved with the U9, U10, U11, or U12 programs require the Learn 2 Train coaching workshop.
U13-U17 AAA or AA
- Coaches and parents who are looking to be a head coach of any of these teams require C License Certification.
- Coaches and parents who are looking to be an assistant coach for any of these teams require the Soccer 4 Life coaching workshop.
U13-U21 A or Below
- Coaches and parents who are looking to be a head coach or assistant coach require the Soccer 4 Life coaching workshop.
Premier Men or Women
- Coaches who are looking to be a head coach of a Premier Men or Women team require C License Certification.
- Coaches who are looking to be an assistant coach of a Premier Men or Women team require the Soccer 4 Life coaching workshop.